Saturday, June 4, 2011

Headband tutorial revisited

Last year I made myself some cute headbands.  I realized that I had some silk ties I used as headbands but I hated the big bump they made when I knotted them in the back.  Wait, I have a sewing machine, so I figured I could adjust my own tutorial to make these silk ties more wearable. 
ties after being cut
Ties after the ends were snipped

The biggest problem I had was that layer of foam in the tie to make it thicker.  I found I could keep the shape of the tie but still sew an elastic in if I snipped some of the foam off the ends.
edges folded under
folding under the edges

The I folded in the unfinished edges and sewed the elastic in with a zig zag stitch.
zig zag stitch
A simple zig zag stitch
 In a few minutes I had a handful of better fitting headbands.  Just in time for the hot weather.

finished headband
yay headband

3 comments:

TheAngelForever said...

Love, love, love your headbands. I have such a hard time finding good ones and now I wish I had a sewing machine. Using the ties is  such a great idea.

teawithfrodo said...

the first time I did it I used fabric glue, so that is an option if you don't have a sewing machine. 

Elizabeth Flora Ross said...

Man, I am SO not crafty. Or creative. That is awesome. 

Stopping by from TMP blog hop!