Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What happened to the small fabric store? A find in Portsmouth

I admit it, I get most of my fabrics at Jo-Ann's.  They carry a great selection at great prices and send me a ton of coupons.  But I honestly miss a good local store.
I've gone from looking for designers named Michael Kors and Elie Tahari to designers named Amy Butler and Joel Dewberry.
There are some amazing fabrics out there that you just can't find at your big box store.  Enter The Portsmouth Fabric Company (hey, they're just as old as I am).  Nestled in an alley off the main road I almost missed them but I keyed in on the sign that had FABRIC in large letters.  Sure enough I wasn't disappointed. While the store is small the selection isn't. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable and the prices are very reasonable for some very high end fabrics (plus there is no sales tax in NH).
Can't wait to use all these nifty fabrics

I came away with a small haul of over half a dozen various fabrics (each in about a yard).   I know it's a bit of a drive for Boston but I'm a very tactile person and I love feeling my fabrics before I use them for a project.  They even have an online store and ship all over the world.
I can't wait to use the fabrics I purchased there. I just wish I could find a shop like this closer to Boston.

No comments: