Friday, January 27, 2012

Thomas the Tank Engine Drinking Game

Since my last drinking game to a children's show post was so popular I decided to try my hand at another one.
This time I used Thomas the Tank Engine.

Drink when:
Sir Topham Hatt says a train has caused "confusion and delay"
You hear "really useful engine"
One of the engines does something they shouldn't
You hear "Bust my bumper"
You hear "Cinders and ashes"
Bertie the Bus or Harold the Helicopter make an appearance
Emily tells the other engines what to do
One of the "troublesome trucks" knocks a train off the rails
When Steamies and Diesels insult each other

no I don't condone getting plastered while taking care of your children. But after the 47th time of watching the show even I need a shot of something.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012


I love projects that get me using scraps. I found this project a while back.  My first attempt was a massive failure and the project disintegrated in my hands.

After having some nifty fabric bits left over from making a top I decided to try it again.  I made a few changes.
1: Instead of wetting the entire "stabilizer sandwich" I used a spray bottle with warm water.  I placed my circle over a bowl and sprayed and shaped it. It gave me much more control and I didn't have to worry about it falling apart.
2: I used extra stabilizer pieces and added them as I wet the bowl. I even added some extra fabric and thread to cover up any bare spots I saw.

It ended up taking more than overnight to dry but it didn't fall apart this time.
 Looks like a cute little bird's nest. Now to figure out what to use it for.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Sewing machine covers

I've had a little more time to sew lately. Mostly because I'm a klutz and hurt my MCL earlier this month.  It gave me some time to look through all the projects I had wanted to do but never did.  One of them was sewing machine covers.
I can see a bunch of my other posted projects here

The plastic covers are great for when I need to take my machine somewhere because they are plastic and will keep water out but for home I wanted something a little nicer to look at.
I had to buy this fabric, it was just too perfect

I found the perfect fabric to make the covers with and it's been sitting in my stash for about 6 months.
I measured my machines and made my own basic pattern.  To make a cover you'll need 3 measurements: width, height and depth of your machine.
I chose to make the pattern in 3 pieces. Front, back and gusset. The front and back are width by height.  The gusset is depth by x (x is height + height + width)
The measurements for my Singer machine are:
12" high
16" wide
6" deep
The machine is actually a tad smaller but I wanted to account for my seams.
My front and back pieces are: 12" by 18"
The gusset is: 6" by 40" (16+12+12)

You can see the post it notes I made myself to use as guides.

Visualizing always helped me

Pin your gusset to one side (right sides together) making sure to account for the curves. Sew and repeat for other side.  If you're using a patterned that has right side up make sure you don't sew it the wrong way. Hem the bottom and you're done.

I love the way they look.

I'm tempted to embroider them with the machine names.  Yes, my machines have names (I can't be the only one). I like how much nicer they look in my crafting area now. My embroidery machine is now fully covered from dust too.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Top of the mornin' to you.

Things have been crazy busy down here in Memphis, but in a good way. I've been sewing and knitting up a storm but haven't had much time to post.
In making a lot of pillow case dresses for little girls I decided I wanted a pillow case top for myself. It's been fairly warm here (even for Memphis winter).  I found a pattern that outlined the same basics.
Instead of a stretch knit I went with a woven Chanel-esque fabric I had on hand.  The adult pattern I had on hand just used 2 large squares of fabric.  In the future I'll make it more shapely like the children's pattern I have. 

It's still pretty cute.  I'm giving it another good wash before I wear it but I may take in the side seams and make it a bit more fitted.

Friday, January 6, 2012

Facebook Breast Cancer Meme

It's back.  And while I could post until I'm blue in the face I'll let the lovely Michelle explain it all.

Michelle and I are both excited to be starting the FORCE Memphis chapter.  Still working on getting everything together. Breast Cancer hits close to home for both of us. Awareness is the first step to prevention.

Crafter down

Yesterday I had a large reminder that I am indeed a hobbit.  And by that I mean I am short. 
I recently got a free stability ball (we know my love for free stuff) and it's been a source of lots of fun for Garrett and some good exercise for myself. 
Well...yesterday I got up and instead of kicking the ball out of the way I decided to step over it. I'm not sure exactly why I thought this would be a good idea with my stubby legs.  You see where this is going.  I fell and hurt myself pretty badly. Besides general bruising of my right knee I busted up the big toe on my right foot.  Which means my balance is off.  Worse than that I really badly torqued my left knee.

At least Ben is home to help out with the little guy, who doesn't seem to understand why mommy is now a gimp.
The good news in all of this is I have more time to work on the shawl I have been knitting for the past 2 years.  It's not a particularly difficult pattern, it just isn't easy to do with a toddler.