Saturday, January 15, 2011

The problem with the internet

As a parent I have the ability to help shape a little life.  There are many ways I could have gone about it but I decided that I wanted Garrett to learn from my example.  I never felt that the "do as I say not as I do" method was very effective for anyone.
That attitude is so prevalent on line.  I'm not sure if it's because it's easier to be angry on line or if they can pretend the person on the other side really isn't a person or if cutting someone down makes them feel better about themselves.  What is it with SchaedenFruede lately?  Why are people so amused when bad things happen to others?     I was told by one person that she was so unhappy with her life that when bad things happened to other people she felt better about herself.   (Needlesss to say when my life got better then hers she decided she didn't want to be my friend because I didn't make her feel good about herself)

No wonder bullying has taken on a new face, children see their parents bullying and insulting other people on the internet.  I've had other parents come up to me and tell me (both online and in real life) how I'm "doing it wrong" because I wasn't do it their way.  People get insulted for a difference of opinion.  If they aren't like you they must be stupid and bad parents.  Plus they're fat and ugly as well as stupid.

I don't want to be that person.  I don't want my son to be that person.  It's been hard but I've taken a step back from certain groups and certain people.  When I see the above attitudes displayed I nod and smile.  If hating someone makes you feel better then I don't think you felt very good in the first place.  I want to teach my son that helping people makes everyone feel better.  That loving and caring about people is important.  You can have a difference of opinion, you can even have a civilized argument but not everyone is going to agree with you.  That doesn't make them a bad person/parent.    He isn't going to learn this just by me telling him.  He has to see me doing it and in trying to raise a good person I find I'm making myself a better person as well.

4 comments:

Online High School Diploma said...

Yes, I agree. It has slowly become prone to ls.

Jayne said...

Hear, hear! That boy has a good mommy!

Online High School Diploma said...

Yes, I agree. It has slowly become prone to ls.

Jayne said...

Hear, hear! That boy has a good mommy!